Quixotic is being brought back to life as our A-team of Fijian fiberglass artists charge forward. She now has bows, most of her topsides are enclosed again and the keels are prepped for glasswork. Alyssa flew to Australia last weekend to visit her sister and she brought back a whole checked bag worth of engine and saildrive spares along with other crucial parts. The superyacht ENCORE, that we sailed on in Hawaii, is bringing us the much-needed closed-cell foam core material that we will use to finish repairing the topsides. ENCORE left Hawaii early last week so she is due in here end of this week; at 150ft of waterline, she makes very fast passages! Thanks again to Jono, Jarnie and the “Encorians” for the help!
The local welder has straightened the bent crossbeam and reinforced some key areas with aluminum plate. It doesn’t look pretty, but it’s functional and will serve until we can afford to buy a new one. We’ll probably end up painting it to cover up all the scratches from the dozen or so boats that hit Quixotic the night of the cyclone. But for now it will be like a piece of German engineering – more function than form. If anyone asks about all the scratches we’ll just tell them that we have had incredibly bad luck with other boats dragging down on us in anchorages!
Our local welder, Rotesh, is also going to start fabricating stanchions for us. We’ll use the base plates that are still on the boat and salvage what tubing we can. For the tubing that is bent beyond repair we will replace it with some new material that has been brought in from NZ and AUS. In the end, our new stanchions will probably match our crossbeam and be more function than works of art…but hey, it’s better than falling overboard and it will serve for now. Instead of sitting in the bow pulpit chair, go lay in the nets!
We have decided to glass over the bottom of the port hull. She was originally built with holding tanks in her keels, one of the main reasons her full flooded in the cyclone. We will feel much more comfortable knowing she is watertight with or without her keel, so this week we removed all the hose and inspection ports and will be laying glass over the bottom before attaching the new keel. We will also be filling the new keel with marine grade foam flotation for extra insurance/buoyancy. If and when we charter, we’ll just tell the guests to use the head on the starboard side during the day. It will also save me the disgusting job of dealing with another holding tank!
We’re hoping to make a lot of progress this week with a lofty goal of having a keel by Friday and be finished with the bows. Our current timeline has us completing the major fiberglass work in two weeks. Then we transition to glasswork on the inside, followed by paint – inside and out. We are thinking of putting some absurd amount of epoxy barrier coat on, like 6 coats, why not…
Enjoy the weekend!