After hiding out in Moorea for almost a week, a weather window has finally opened up and we will be sailing for the Tuamotus this afternoon. Forecast is calling for 15 knots out of the SE which should allow for a nice beam reach to one of our favorite atolls, about 250 nm away.
We have been making the most of the past few rainy days. Alyssa cooked up a storm and we’ll be eating like kings on the passage. We made some great new friends, Matthew and Anne on CAVALO, who also sailed from San Francisco last year. They shared their kindle library with us and now we can read for the next ten years and not run out of books! We enjoyed lazy days at the hotel pool and even did the sting rays again. We hichhiked to the major grocery store for fresh produce (delicious pineapples and we even found avocados!) and met some awesome people from Auckland, NZ who we will definitely have to meet up with if we find ourselves down there. I also got bored and fabricated some attachment points on our emergency tiller handle so that in the unfortunate event that we lose wheel steering I can just hook up the monitor control lines directly to the tiller. How’s that for foresight!?
We’re making one final run into the village this morning to buy some fresh produce to share with the islanders in the Tuamotus. Then we’ll make some final prep and head out the pass. We’re very excited to be heading to sea again. I am hesitant to trust the GRIBs completely but they are calling for some good sailing conditions so let’s hope the weather gods cooperate.