Staying Put in Suva – Not Putting to Sea Just Yet – Go Away Cyclones!

The wind was howling over 25 knots today and we know it was over 30 outside the reef with very rough seas. Instead of beating Ellie and crew up out there we weighed our options and decided to stay put. It would have been very difficult to push into those seas. Of course we made the decision after sweating all morning prepping the boat for passage; we had the dinghy stowed, monitor set, sea berth made, mainsail on, dorades plugged, meals prepped and everything stowed…..and then we called it off. We are on a cyclone mooring owned by Tony Philip in the Tradewinds anchorage (another “recognized” cyclone hole); the mooring is for his 90 foot yacht so we are hopeful it will hold Ellie just fine. The current forecasts are calling for two tropical depressions to pass over us on Tuesday and Wednesday. What has us worried is Fiji Met has raised its cyclone warning to “High” on Tuesday. Hopefully it doesn’t form until it’s well south and east of us. As a precaution we are going to dig out the storm anchors and strip windadge tomorrow. Such is cruising Fiji during cyclone season!

Wish us luck! 

Thank You

© RidetheTrades, 2012 – 2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any blog entries or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s owners is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full credit is given to www.ridethetrades.com, with appropriate direction to the original content. Thank you!